Sunday, August 26, 2007

Steal this idea - The Space Eaters

I like outer space. Yeah, I thought about becoming an astronaut when I was little, before I became "four eyes" (with trifocals now, I guess I'm 'six eyes'), before I learned I barfed on the tea cup ride in Seaside Park every time, before I discovered I don't like small spaces. But space travel has always interested me, and I have my own science fiction stories about it, including a rejection in 1974 from "Playboy" indicating there's no such thing as binary stars.

But this story about the empty spot in the universe intrigued me. What if...scientists discovered an empty spot (better yet, the vampire of outer space-a black hole) forming nearby in space, in the direction in which our galaxy was spinning, and we only had twenty years in which to discover a new planet and travel there? Can you imagine the congressional delays? What if, there was a segment of society that didn't care and protested about the government spending? What if, there was another segment that thought it was God's way and we're distorting His plan. What if...(your turn, your story, your Pulitzer).

Cue the music. "It's the end of the world as we know it; it's the end of the world as we know it; it's the end of the world as we know it; and I feel fine."

And don't forget Tuesday's lunar eclipse, especially y'all on the Pacific Rim.

3 comments:

Jack Getze said...

I think those politicians would vote yay pretty quick on an evacuation plan that included themselves. There are too many humans, so the conflict would be who gets to go.

Rick will build his own spacecraft.

Rick Bylina said...

Already designed it back in the seventh grade with my buddy, Pete.

Ruth L.~ said...

Well, people will need to go in mixed gender pairs, like on Noah's Ark, for obvious reasons.

Story~ A modern day Noah builds a star traveler and takes two of each spiecies, except the polititions who vote against the grant funding he needed.