Monday, August 29, 2011

MMWUC - Rain with that Hurricane?

Hurricane Irene came and went. The outer rain bands stopped at the county line, about 1/2 mile from my house. I got .15 inches of rain and two downed branches. Thirty miles to the east, they got 3 inches and some trees down. Near the coast, one town drowned under 19 inches of rain in just over one day. Reporting on Irene has been weird and reaction weirder. I could say, "Irene, a bust." I had to water my plants the next day. However, some of the media and individual-centric comments about the storm have been, well, stupid, calling Irene, much to do about nothing. Lift your head people. Just because your little island of reality wasn't affected, millions were. Just water your plants or ride your bicycle and be very, very thankful the storm didn't creep over the county line and put your life on hold for the next few months.

Writers: How have you used the weather in your story to enhance the readers experience?

2 comments:

Faith Bicknell said...

Been watching the aftermath of the hurricane on Fox News and I'm appalled at how houses have been swept away, bridges wiped out, etc. Those poor people! I understand how they feel because when Ivan and Frances swept up the Gulf and the tropical depression came up the Ohio Valley, they dumped so much rain it flooded out every valley, hollow, and bottom around. I came home from a dr. appt. that first day it entered our region and had to go the long way home because most of the roads were underwater at various points.

Sandra McLeod Humphrey said...

Love your blog and I'm glad you missed the brunt of Irene's damage. We live in "Tornado Alley" and we've also had our share of drama this spring and summer. I think just abut every part of our country has been touched in some way by severe weather this past year. Love your blog and I'll be back!