Monday, September 24, 2012

MMWUC: Dreams of my Dreams


The last week at the cabin begins. I'm listening to the crackling fire as it warms my skin, smelling the last essence of a once mighty northern pine toppled last year in a windstorm, much like the thirty mile per hour gusts rampaging outside today. My cup of Folgers coffee, perfectly blended with five spoonful's of sugar and a dose of half 'n half, warms me from the inside. The leaves have finally decide to change colors...a week later than last year. My wife awoke at five in the morning to greet the sun: it hide behind a bank of clouds to tease and anger her. I slept and dreamt of high school friends, some I haven't seen since graduation: Michael Funk was there. Bob Silk was playing a practical joke on someone. Sharon Gyeski giggled behind me in Geography class. Mark Baumeister, Joey Capolunghi, Pete Palmer, and I squeezed into Phil Spies' corvair. Funny thing is, I don't remember Pete doing it in the past. Debbie Betham (God rest her soul) giggled at something, head nodding. On and on it went, but the odd thing is, we were all in Berlin, Germany, where I went to protect our freedom instead of Saigon in late 1974. (Wiping my brow on that one.)

I guess vacation is like that. Stepping away from the current familiar, lounging around on Facebook, ignoring home chores. And if my wife stops cleaning the cottage, shuts off the vacuum, sits and relaxes, I just might let her live so we can both return next year. Otherwise, I'll have a new experience for the senses: the sound of slamming bars in the state penitentiary for murder. I wonder who I'll dream about there?

Is it time to write a high school reunion story? Have you written yours? Did classmates threaten to kill you over it?

7 comments:

D Boyer said...

As a matter of fact - during my vacation (which actually took place at my high school reunion this summer), I resurrected my WIP and changed the setting to take place at the reunion....

Rick Bylina said...

The question is: Does everyone at the reunion know that they show up dead or accused of murder in your WIP? :-)

Kw mccabe said...

I love hearing people's highschool experiences :) I was homeschooled.

Rick Bylina said...

Back in the olden days when I went to school, I didn't know anyone who had been home-schooled. I doubt that it was an option in my town where they still had a dress code until half-way through our senior year. Kneel...does that skirt touch. Jeans...get thee into detention. Hairy...find the scissors.

Ruby Red's Reflections said...

Never went to a high school reunion so wouldn't know what to write about. High school wasn't a happy time for me. It taught me that the world wasn't fair--not for me but for most of my friends who got left out. I wasn't an honor student so my education was lacking. I also think I had undiagnosed dyslexia. So my high school story would be a view of social injustice at best. Or maybe a story of survival....

Rick Bylina said...

Shelia...Sorry your high school experience in the '80s wasn't that great. (It was the '80s, right?) Despite the usual teenage angst stuff that everyone in their middle teens goes through, I enjoyed my time in high school. I matured too late to enjoy the dating scene, (I always seem to catch on too late to many things), but it beats some of the other dreaded experiences that some people write about.

Holly Michael said...

I hope I'm not being obnoxious, but I don't think my comment went through. I think I exed it out too fast. Just wanted to tell you that I'd given you an award on my blog. And I already got a comment about you. www.writingstraight.com Holly